Monday, February 14, 2011

Week six

Most applications are done, and sent in, which means my internship is getting a bit slow. The University Counseling office isn’t getting students as frequently, except for some of the kids who are struggling to get their applications in. Because there are less students applying, and not many students are hearing back from colleges yet, my work load was very low this week. Although this meant a lot of time being bored at my desk, it also made for more time to chat with the women in my office. Telling stories from their travels, favorite spots in Amman, talking about students, schools, helping me with my Arabic homework are all topics that we discuss. 
Wednesday night we went out to dinner in Amman with the two faculty members that we spend every wednesday with. We went to a Chinese restaurant in an artsy part of town. It’s an old house converted into a restaurant. You enter through to a large foyer with a stair case wrapping itself up and over you as you walk in. The drawing room, parlor, and dining room are now all used as dining rooms. Red chinoiserie wall paper, retro asian lacquered chairs, a vintage bar, dim lights, sizzling pots, and slightly creepy Chinese music set the tone. The restaurant reminded me a lot of a small Chinese restaurant in Italy that I used to go with my family often. This made me feel very nostalgic the whole night, as I was constantly reminded of Italy. 
The weekend came soon, and ended even sooner. I spent most of it in Amman, getting lost trying to find a café on Friday, and in chic restaurants at night. I am looking forward to next week, though I suspect I won’t have a tone of work, I have the day off on Tuesday because it is the Prophets birthday. 

3 comments:

  1. Stephan,
    I find it just fascinating that you could be in a Chinese restaurant in a small town in Jordan & be reminded of Italy. The world seems so large & it is of course, but sometimes it becomes quite small doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petra is lovely. I'm glad you were able to go and of course, ride a camel. I think everyone should at some point. I love that you are becoming more comfortable with everything and finding some sort of living routine. I'm also glad that you are taking advantage of those slow times and talking with others and learning as much as possible.
    Tell me about the Prophet's birthday. What kinds of things are you seeing? Are there celebrations, special things people are doing? How is it treated?
    Congrats on Kenyon as well. I'm so happy for you. I'm sure you are relieved on many levels, although I don't think you had anything to worry about.
    Take care and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Holly, yes I thought that was really interesting as well, it's also quite strange and off putting to go a starbucks in Amman, because it feels like I am back in Columbus all of the sudden.

    @ Melissa, I didn't get to learn as much as I would have liked to about the Prophets birthday, however, from what I understand it's not really a day of celebration, rather a day of prayer. I heard that they do however make a special kind of desert on that day, but I did not get a chance to try it. Also I didn't get to see if there were any particular kinds of prayers or ceremonies on that day because the school is not affiliated with a religion, rather there is a simple religious center on campus where members of any faith can practice.
    And thank you, I am very excited that I get to go there next year!

    ReplyDelete