Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gerasa



This week went by very quickly because of the Prophets birthday on Tuesday. The work week never really changes though, it’s very predictable. The work is consistent only that sometimes there is more, and other times there is none at all. I can’t believe that I have been here for almost 2 months now. It seems like time has gone by so quickly, and yet feels like an eternity since I actually left. I feel as though time is already beginning to run out, and that I have so much more to see and to experience here. I feel this way, though in reality, I have almost 2 and a half months left, which is probably more than enough time. This week I also went to Amman twice in the morning, once to get blood drawn and the other to get fingerprints, both are steps taken to get my residency in Jordan. I was expecting to go to the embassy, or a hospital to get my blood drawn. Instead, we were taken to a building down a side street with almost a hundred immigrants waiting in line. Our driver cut in line, flashed some papers and spoke to some people working there, and we preceded to go inside. My adventure to get my fingerprints taken a few days later was equally memorable. This time we were taken to a small stone building outside of the city. We walked in though glass doors into a single medium sized room with multiple men in army apparel standing around smoking cigarettes. We waited for several minutes, and then a man preceded to grab our fingers putting them into the ink, and rolling each and everyone of them onto a piece of paper to get the full print. 
The weekend finally arrived, though I along with the other Junior Fellows had little, if any money to spend since our stipend had almost depleted for the month. We spent out Thursday night in Madaba at the usual café. The next morning I went on a school trip to Jerash, a town an hour north famous for its extensive Roman ruins of Gerasa. It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day as we walked through the endless ruins. You enter through a grand arch, and walk up to a large race track. At first, I thought that was it, some ruins, and a race track because I couldn’t see much else from my position. However, after a bit of walking the ancient city reveals itself. Two theaters, a long colonnade reaching the end of the city, multiple temples in ruins, and more. The best part, which is also not very good for the preservation of the ruins, is that very few sections are blocked off, meaning I was able walk up small steps in the back of the theater leading up to the top of the seats, and up small crumbling stairs in the temple to get another view. My favorite part of the day was when the prayer began. I was walking through what was once a Roman temple, when a couple of mosques in the city outside of the ruins began broadcasting the prayer, it was beautiful to hear the prayer through the wind as I explored an ancient city. 

Spring break has been on my mind lately, because I need to start planing where I want to travel, which is getting tough, since my many of the countries surrounding Jordan are quickly becoming unsafe to travel to. 

I’m thinking Istanbul. 













3 comments:

  1. Istanbul...no Constantinople...no its Istanbul
    You are having a lifetime of experiences for some every day. Splendid to know you are taking advantage of such wonderful people and environments without blinders on. Please be safe, while at the same time living in such a historically monumental moment. My mom lived in Turkey for a couple of years and loved it second only to Italy. Take care, if you are able to post any video I would love to show it to town meeting.
    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, as usual. I was going to make the Istanbul reference, but Evan beat me to it. I would love to hear about that trip!
    I hope to hear, at some point, what people in the area are talking about, especially with all of these revolutions in progress. Are they hopeful, optimistic, worried, etc...? What are your feelings?
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently looking at different options for spring break everyone says I should go to Istanbul, but I want to stay in the region because I don't know when the next time I'll be in the Middle East is, and from Europe I can easily get to Istanbul. I originally wanted to go to Syria, and a teacher here is taking a group there so it would have been perfect. But Syria is hard enough to get into, and I just found out Jordan wont give me a residency here, and instead I am just extending my visa, but because of my lack of residency, I cannot get a visa to Syria. So I have yet to figure out my spring break.

    Melissa - I'll be sure to write about the revolutions currently happening, my feelings, as well as how some of the Jordanians I have talked to are reacting.

    Everything is wonderful here though, and I am loving my time in Jordan.

    Best,

    Stephan

    ReplyDelete